Monday, November 17, 2008

Who do you think designed your wedding dress?

So, this past Saturday was declared as the national day to protest against Proposition 8. For those of you who don't know what Prop 8 is, it is the amendment to ban gay marriage. California, Arizona, and Florida were the three main states that recently passed this amendment. California was the most shocking because they had just legalized gay marriage not too long ago and now they just banned it again, making it nearly impossible for same sex couples to ever get married again. It takes a lot of time, unity, and determination to overturn an amendment so that means it probably won't be over turned anytime soon.

Anyways, I went with a group of friends to protest in downtown Atlanta and turn out was larger than expected! Here are some photos of the event.





Sorry some of the pics are blurry. We got a lot of honks from supporters too which was pretty cool. Being in the south and everything, it's nice to see some liberals around lol. It was my first protest and I had such a great time... I've never seen a community unite together with such determination and positive energy. I hope one day that ignorance and discrimination will no longer be an issue but I know it takes a lot of time and energy. I guess it irritated me because we can vote for an ethnic president but we ban gay marriage? Isn't it suppose to be the time for "change" and unity?? How is sexual orientation different from race?

I have to say the best sign I saw was one that said "Who do you think designed your wedding dress?" lol... the greatest sign ever! Nonetheless, I had a great time and it was great to see everyone that came out to support!

No comments: